YouTube TV and Disney reached a new carriage agreement Friday that restored ABC, ESPN and more than 20 other networks to the Google-owned streaming service, ending a blackout that lasted nearly two weeks. The resolution brought relief to subscribers who had been without major sports coverage and popular entertainment programming, but the dispute underscored a growing issue for the streaming industry.
The outage began Oct. 30 after contract negotiations broke down over the rates YouTube TV pays to carry Disney-owned channels. Disney had pushed for higher fees, particularly for ESPN, which is the most expensive network on the U.S. pay-TV market and typically costs distributors more than ten dollars per subscriber each month. YouTube TV argued that the proposed terms would raise prices for customers and reduce flexibility in its channel offerings. Disney countered that YouTube TV refused to pay fair market value.
Disney channels, including ABC, FX, NatGeo, SEC Network and ACC Network, went dark shortly before the existing agreement expired. The timing frustrated YouTube TV subscribers, many of whom missed college football games, Monday Night Football broadcasts and other live programming that had been heavily promoted in advance.
In a statement Friday, YouTube said it was pleased to have reached an agreement “that preserves the value of our service for our subscribers.” Disney issued a statement calling the deal reflective of “how audiences choose to watch” and said they were glad the networks had been restored ahead of a full weekend schedule.
YouTube TV had offered customers a twenty-dollar credit during the dispute. The service costs 82.99 per month and includes channels from NBC, CBS, Fox and other major broadcast networks. Disney programming is also available through Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, along with ESPN’s new standalone digital service that launched earlier this year.
This was not the first conflict between the two companies. YouTube TV customers briefly lost access to Disney-owned networks in 2021 after a separate contract breakdown. Other standoffs have occurred this year between YouTube TV and Fox, as well as between YouTube TV and NBCUniversal. In those cases, agreements were reached before channels were removed.
The blackout illustrated a broader challenge for streaming services as they increasingly resemble the cable bundles they replaced. Live programming that once served as the main draw for cable customers now sits behind multiple subscription services, each governed by separate contracts. As content providers raise their carriage fees and streaming platforms try to limit price increases, negotiations have become more contentious and consumers often absorb the impact.
During the blackout, Disney argued that YouTube TV had used its market position to pressure content distributors and limit competition. YouTube TV said Disney’s decision to pull channels before Election Day risked confusing viewers and had been used as a negotiation tactic. Both companies accused the other of prioritizing corporate leverage over consumer access.
The new agreement includes a notable addition. YouTube TV subscribers will gain access to select programming from ESPN Unlimited, a developing platform that will combine ESPN+, traditional ESPN channels and new digital content. Disney said this programming will be available by the end of 2026 at no additional cost to YouTube TV base plan users.
While the deal brings immediate stability, analysts note that future disputes remain likely as the streaming landscape continues to shift. With rising programming costs, expanding digital platforms and growing competition for live sports rights, the conditions that led to the blackout have not been resolved.
For YouTube TV and Disney, the channels are back and the weekend sports schedule will proceed as planned. For viewers, the episode served as another reminder that the convenience promised by streaming is becoming increasingly vulnerable to the same contract battles that once defined traditional cable.










